Here are some tips on how to quickly energize oneself and greet the day more refreshed.
1. Go to sleep the right way. To wake up refreshed, get a good night’s sleep. This means: No caffeine anytime after lunch. Limiting yourself to one glass of wine at dinner. Too much wine can knock you out, then cause you to wake up during the night. Make sure your bedroom is cool. “Don’t exercise near bedtime. It will just rouse your body. Stay off the computer — and away from any lit screen — an hour before bed.
2. Always get up at the same time — even on weekends. “Regardless of how well you slept or when you went to sleep, always get up at a set wake-up time,” recommends Winter. Our circadian rhythm, the biological process that drives your sleep-wake cycle, needs consistency in order to work correctly
3. Don’t hit the snooze button. Set your alarm for when you must get up and stick to that. Hitting snooze over and over just leads to fragmented, fitful sleeping and you’ll wake up more tired.
4. Drink water when you first get up. You lose a lot of fluid when you sleep and breathe at night, and unfortunately, dehydration can make you feel sluggish and sleepy. Re-hydrating can go a long way in making you feel more alert. You don’t have to chug — just quench your thirst.
5. Seek out the light. According to the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, light is the main cue influencing circadian rhythms, turning on or turning off genes that control your internal clock. So, roll up your shades as soon as you’re awake.
6. Try yoga breathing. An Oxford University study found that pranayama (yoga breathing) “had a markedly invigorating effect on perceptions of both mental and physical energy and increased high positive mood.”
7. Exercise every morning. “The best time is right when you wake up. It gets your body used to revving up in the morning. If you can stay to a routine, it’s amazing what it will do to your energy and attitude,” says Winter. 8. Eat a high-protein breakfast. “Protein in the morning gets converted into dopamine, which energizes you,”.